A guest post is practically an article written by a guest writer. In fact, you’re reading one now! This is an example of such an article, written by a person who usually doesn’t write in Webnode’s blog, but was instead invited to do so. Guest blogging is a usual practice, favored by large blogs. By reading this article, you’ll understand why they’re important and how to make them useful, whether you’re a guest or the author who receives the task.
1. The benefits of guest blogging
If an article is well-written, it’s a benefit to both parties involved: both for the author who writes the article and the blog owner. If not, there’s no point in publishing it.
As a guest writer, you can benefit from guest blogging in these ways:
- You present your work to a different audience than the one who tends to visit your blog
- You earn more visits to your blog, because usually the article has at least one link pointing to your blog
- You benefit in terms of SEO, just by getting a link to your blog
- It’s a chance to write a themed article, not the usual addressed in the blog
- A blog with a guest post can gain success if the author is well-chosen
- Readers have the chance to read an article by a different author, who can bring a new approach that interests them
- It attracts new readers to your own blog, because people will follow you after reading your article
2. Tips for publishing a good guest post
Some guidelines to take into account
Before writing the article
- Choose the right blog where you want to publish your article. Select quality blogs and those that address topics that you’re familiar with.
- Visit the blog and start studying for your guest post. Read the articles that are published there in order to know the addressed issues and the audience. Knowing these points will help you write an article appropriate for the blog.
- Contact the owner stating your intention to create a publication. Tell him the address of your blog so that he can know your work and assess whether your participation is beneficial.
- To choose the theme, there are two possible approaches. Either you can offer subjects to write about (even more reason to know the blog) or ask for suggestions for interesting topics. It’s possible that the author is also interested in what’s in your blog.
When writing the article
- When writing your guest post, take the utmost care to provide quality. Your text should be flawless and even better than what you write on your own blog. Be meticulous with structure, spelling and grammar. A poorly written text that has mistakes which can be identified by an automatic spellchecker loses interest fast.
- Avoid creating an article that is only an advertisement for your own blog. An article with little text and lots of links to your blog can be disapproved by the author. It’s okay to have some links, but they should be natural and add value to the text.
- The guest post should always be an original article. Avoid sending texts that you have published on your blog or other blogs. And once you accept the article, don’t republish it on other blogs – even on your own.
After publishing the article
- When your guest post is published, your work is not finished. Share and promote it on your blog, social networks, and other possible locations. Gather interest: if your article is successful, it will open the door for other future publications.
- Make an agreement with the author of the blog on who will reply to the comments on this article. It’s also a good idea to respond to comments and questions from readers.
As said before, a proper guest post is one that benefits both for those who write and for those who receive it. Write an article to open doors for collaboration on blogs to establish real partnerships.
Do you have experience in writing or receiving guest posts on your blog? Share them by leaving a comment. Are you planning to start blogging? Try the step-by-step guide.